I think we can all agree, there’s just nothing like Mom’s home cookin’. It just tastes better, doesn’t it? For that reason I’ve asked my Mom to submit some of her favorite recipes for me to share with y’all each Monday. Let’s get cooking in the kitchen with Mom!
- Paper cupcake liners (18 to 24 liners)
- 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 1 package plain lemon cake mix (18.25 ounces) (I prefer Pillsbury if you can find it)
- 3 tbsp. vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- Strawberry preserves (you can use whatever type of fruit preserve you think will go well with the lemon, such as raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, etc.)
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows below)
- 1 medium size lemon
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Milk or water, if needed
Place the butter in a medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy. Stop and add the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and zest a little on a time, beating with the mixer on low speed until the confectioners’ sugar is well incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the frosting until it is light and fluffy. If the frosting seems too stiff, add a little milk or water to thin it.